I am still working on the inventory, just two boxes away, but I had a friend who could help me today so I decided to take the body off and set it on the buck. We started by taking off the doors, hood, and trunk. The hood wasn’t attached but the doors and trunk were. The manual says they are attached with 5/8ths buts but mine were 9/16ths. I unbolted them from the chassis and set them aside.
The manual just says to unbolt the quickjacks, but there are other attachments. There were four bolts at the back that were 1/2″ so we took them off next and put them on a board. I have no idea if I will ever need them again or if it will matter which was which, but I did this anyway just in case.
I saw Edd China do this on Wheeler Dealers, my all time favorite show, and so I decided to keep things organized as well. I’m a “better safe than sorry” kind of guy I guess. After taking off all four bolts things started falling out from under the rear bumper. Come to find out there are spacers under there as well. When I looked underneath I saw this
Again, not knowing if I will need these ever again at this point I saved them
Finally I realized I should look more carefully under the car to make sure ALL of the attachment points are located. Two screws attached each side under the body.
In addition to the quickjacks up front there is a brace attached to the body.
Not knowing what it was or if I needed it later, but not wanting it to scratch up my powder coating I took it off and labeled it too.
Confident that the body was no longer attached to the frame we went to remove it. The body kind of scoops underneath the frame on the sides and we could get one side off but when we went to lift the front and back the side would drop down and catch under the frame again. We took two clamps and pulled the body away from the frame, clamping the frame so the body couldn’t scoot back underneath and get locked again.
We were then able to lift the body and get it on the buck.
It wasn’t difficult in the whole, but I made it as difficult as possible apparently. Tomorrow I will be by myself again so I can finish the inventory and start marking and labeling the aluminum panels. I have ordered a pair of Cleco pliers and some clecos. Basically they are temporary rivets that can be removed. I will mark and label all the aluminum panels, drill my rivet holes, but use the Clecos to attach the panels so I can remove them as needed. I won’t rivet them in until much further along. I want the brake lines, fuel lines, etc. all run first.